Following the plea by Minister of Sport Nathi Mthethwa to both the Premier Soccer League and the South African Football Association to speak with one voice on when the 2019/20 season can resume, it appears the two bodies are heeding the call.
Mthethwa last week told journalists that it was important for PSL chairman Irvin Khoza and SAFA president Danny Jordaan to agree regarding the restart of a campaign that has been halted by the Coronavirus pandemic since mid-March – this was after the two organisations gave the impression they were pulling in different directions.
SAFA has categorically stated that football should only return was the country’s high risk regulations are moved to level 1. As things stand, Mzansi is on level 4.
The PSL executive committee met on Thursday and Friday to discuss how the season can be concluded behind closed doors while adhering to the health and safety regulations set by the government to contain the spread of the virus.
While there has been no official word from the league, SAFA has confirmed to the Siya crew that its received a proposal from the PSL.
“Yes, we have received the proposal from the PSL and as a result of that there is going to be a joint liaison committee meeting at 2pm on Tuesday between the motherbody and our special member. The meeting will be held at SAFA house to try and find a way forward regarding the return of football,” said SAFA spokesperson Dominic Chimhavi.
It is there that a resolution is likely to be taken, with clubs on edge about the future of football, expiring contracts and the registration of new players.
Fifa, the world governing body, has said leagues around the globe must obtain permission from the government before they can restart.